Yoga essentials: 5 top tips for your first class.
Excited but nervous about trying your first yoga class? Take a look at my practical tips that every beginner needs to know!
1. Avoid eating for at least 2 hours beforehand, or 3-4 if you're having a big meal. Many yoga poses are designed to stimulate your digestive system and are therefore more comfortable on an empty stomach.
2. Go barefoot. Good yoga etiquette requires removing your shoes before entering the studio for cleanliness, as you'll be spending a lot of time getting up close and personal with your mat and the floor! Also remove socks to avoid slipping and injury. Instead embrace your feet in all their glory and enjoy a sense of grounding and connection with the mat.
3. Don't worry about getting things "right", "perfect", or not being able to touch your toes. Instead focus on how you feel in the pose and working with where you are right now. Don't worry about what other people are doing, it's your practice and unique to you.
4. What to wear? Anything you can move comfortably in. Personally I like a closer fit longish top that doesn't fall over my head in downward dog... Also take an extra layer for the final resting pose ("Shivasana") at the end. It's the best bit when you get to absorb the practice, but lying down after moving can get a bit chilly.
5. Bring your focus within. Yoga is a time to bring your attention to the present moment - leaving the outside world outside of the of the yoga room. You might find that as you're concentrating on where to put your leg, your arm etc. any distracting thoughts simply disappear on their own! Magic :-)
Warning: The more yoga you do, the more you will want to do!
If you found this post useful, I'd love to hear from you. You can contact me at email@example.com
P.S Check out the related post: